Friday, November 19, 2004

Bad reviews (or ... good reviews from a bad critic)

I promised myself not to buy an album when I read the review and ...
1. The review compares/refers to my favourites bands. I did it before and the result is always disappointing. A nostalgic critic ... desperately looking for a new band sounding like they used to do in the good all days ...
2. The review ends up with the sentence 'One of the best albums of the year so far' or something like that.
I read the review of the new Swayzak album in popmatters.com. The guys write a laudatory review of the album ... I copy below the highlights:
... The bassline that swoops down and forms the song's major hook could have wandered in off New Order's Power, Corruption and Lies, ... Underworld ... coolly pulsating beats of old-school techno and deep house to more conventional songwriting forms ... the emotional integrity that made acts such as New Order, Depeche Mode and the Human League so compelling ... reminds me of Depeche Mode's Martin Gore ... somewhat reminiscent, in an odd way, of Simply Red or even Chris Isaak .... One of the best albums of the year so far
Of course, in spite of the above, I will break my own rule (once again) and buy the album

No comments: